We have all heard the expression that “Freedom Comes with a Price” and in this last decade of turning my passions into the way I earn money in the world I have learned some huge lessons.
I have learned what it means to put my trust and faith into a vision that I whole-heartedly believe in and move towards it despite fear, self doubt or a lack of clarity or even having the necessary skills on “how to do it”. I have always figured out a way to make things work though and even when I couldn’t, it still worked out somehow! I feel like this is the reward that comes from the heartache of trusting and trying.
I have worked my ass off and stayed resilient and focused through many very challenging times, periods of hardship, ridiculous amounts of personal growth and transformation, as well as the heaviness that comes from the many huge letdowns and losses along the way. (note, being an entrepreneur is not for the faint of heart)
I am very grateful that I did all of this and that I stayed committed all these years because I am now living with more freedom than ever before.
I am living my dream. It is still in its’ early stages, but THE DREAM is everywhere I look. I have the life I’ve always wanted. My original intention of having a business that allows me the freedom to play professional golf is now what I have. I also get to wake up when I want (usually at 5AM to do yoga, meditate and play golf). I choose the clients I want, I make up my own hours and I literally have the creative freedom to do anything I can dream up with the entrepreneurial and creative wisdom to figure out ways to make money doing it (and the brilliant friends to do it with).
With all of that being said, below are 20 tips for the Conscious Creator, Entrepreneur, Artist or Passionate Person who wants to turn your passions into how you live and make money in the world (as well as a lot of links to help you out).
1) Know WTF you Want: Not being clear on WHO you are and WHAT you want sucks. If that’s the stage of the game (of life) you’re at right now, then focus on this before doing anything else. Hire a coach, sign up for a course (I have one starting soon), make a vision board, go on a retreat, start journaling and asking yourself these very important questions.
2) Create a Solid Daily Practice: You are absolutely going to need this. It’s why this is step two. Once you’re clear on WTF you want, you are then required to do the scariest thing you’ll ever do in your life – take a leap of faith and 100% GO FOR IT. In going for it, you must learn to fully trust and believe in yourself, life and the Universe to support you. Sometimes it will feel like the whole Universe is against you (but it’s not) and you’ll need your daily practice to keep grounded and focused on what you want and the lessons to be learned. Without this foundation in your life it is more likely that you’ll crumble under the pressure.
3) Make your Exit Plan: Once you’re rooted in your foundational daily practices that keep you rooted in WHO you are and WHAT you want, you’ll be ready to leave whatever job or life commitments you’re not in love with. For some who depend on their income for “security” or their children, this is a more complicated matter. You have one of two choices: Quit right now and never look back, quit what you’re doing and get something simple and supplemental as you grow your passion OR give yourself a window of time to transition from what you’re doing and move towards what you want. Sometimes this new beginning can be selling everything you have, quitting your job and starting totally fresh (cuz we CAN do that if we want).
4) Live your Passion (Everyday): Even if it’s FIVE MINUTES per day. Start now. I learned to meditate by practicing three minutes per day. I have learned the guitar by practicing five minutes per day. I swing the golf club at least five minutes everyday. Whatever your passion, do it everyday (whether it’s for ten hours or five minutes). Constant improvement and practice makes mastery (eventually).
5) Get your #&*% Together: Clean and organize your home, office or creative space and anywhere else your life is a disaster (physically, emotionally, spiritually, mentally). Definitely start by cleaning your physical space and then with your daily practice and commitment to personal growth the spiritual and physical spaces will improve. Simplifying your life is such a wonderful thing to do. Let go of all that doesn’t serve.
6) Love your People: Your human friends, business connections and Soul Family are the most important things in the world. Love them. Nurture those relationships. I owe all of my success to the people who have surrounded me, supported me, empowered me, loved me, marketed for me and taught me what they know. For them I would not be who I am or have the life I do – this much I know. Love your people, they are the world! Pick up the phone, set-up play dates, help them, tell them you care about them. (oh and ask for help when you need it – it’s what friends are for)
7) Make a Plan (AKA: a Big Ass To-Do List): A plan is just a fancy word for a big ass to-do list. Once you’re clear on what you want to do, create a huge to-do list of all the tasks and sub-tasks you KNOW you will have to do. Then break those to-do’s down into next steps (today, this week, this month, next three months, next six months, next 12 months, next 10 years, etc…)
8) Learn to Automate Everything: If you want freedom, then you’re going to need to learn to automate your business as much as possible so that it requires less and less time and energy.
9) Have Multiple $$$ Streams: Just in case one thing runs dry, you’ll need others. Building multiple streams of income takes time. Have at least one ‘bread and butter’ thing that you can count on (preferably part time so not all your time goes there) and then work on and then build your other streams of income as you go (doing things you absolutely love). My passions now make me all my money after years of working at it. Start now.
10) ABC = Always Be Creating: Always have a creative project you’re working on, a vision your moving towards, a business you’re building, an eCourse you’re creating, a skill you’re refining. Don’t be afraid of charging money for these wonderful things you’re going to create too. Money is just a lovely energetic exchange between creator and customer that means, “Thank you” in the human language.
11) Have a Mastery Mindset: Adopt the mindset that there is no destination. Every step, mistake, practice session and moment is just a part of the big picture. A master knows there is always room for improvement. So in other words, don’t be silly and think you can get it perfect or that you’ll ever “get there.” Just enjoy the never-ending journey of growth and learning.
12) Let your Freak Fly: Crazy is cool kids. So be the weird one, do what inspires you, wear what makes you feel like yourself, pursue the things that make you come alive and be YOU. If that turns people off, then that’s their loss. I think you rock!!
13) Teach! Teaching has been the greatest way to educate myself. Start teaching classes, design workshops and create eCourses. It’s fun AND we all have things to share that others will want to learn. Charge money or don’t, just teach! People will thank you. (see lesson 17 on facing fears if this idea scares you)
14) Get Online and Do It Right (yesterday): An ugly, unorganized website will turn people off from taking you serious. Take the time to learn or invest the money to build a beautiful online presence that represents you well. It doesn’t have to be a crap load of money and if you have no money there are loads of awesome templates. It’s 2015 and you’re going to need a great website if you’re committed to your freedom lifestyle. My friend Andy Freist at ZenTeach.com is great at helping creators build beautiful platforms (he helped with mine).
15) Learn to Create an eCourse: As you grow as a teacher and open yourself up to creating multiple streams of income (hopefully passive) creating eCourses will be another step along the way. If you’re ready for this phase of living your freedom lifestyle, then sign up for my FREE eCourse Creation Blueprint Video Series and I’ll get you on the right track!
16) Work Hard and Play Hard: I go through cycles where sometimes I work two hours a day and then I go through periods (like right now) where I’m generally working about 10 hours a day because I’m in eCourse launch mode. No matter what though, I schedule time to do things I love EVERY SINGLE DAY no matter what. Whether it’s golfing, hiking, going to a class, improv or whatever.. I make sure everyday is a day I love! I highly recommend this approach to business and life.
17) Don’t Be Afraid of Fear: I would say the most common thing that comes up for any creator, artist or entrepreneur is the fear of rejection. This fear alone is a self sabotage mechanism. Because we fear rejection we never take action. By not taking action we sabotage ourselves from ever being given the opportunity to be seen, accepted and celebrated. Lean into the fear, dig up the lies, learn from the experience, love the opportunity to grow through it and f%*&ing give’er!
18) Live in Alignment: Every choice you make is either in alignment or out of alignment. You DO know the difference if you really want to tap into the truth within you. Be self aware and say no when it’s not in the holy flow.
19) Be Healthy: Make health a huge priority because there would be nothing shittier than finally reaching the destination of your dreams and going into a healing crisis because you didn’t take care of yourself all of the other steps along the way. Your health is #1, without it you have nothing.
20) Short Term Sacrifices for Longterm Success: Stop searching for quick fixes. Ask yourself this, What are you willing to sacrifice or let go of NOW to create space for what you really want? Give yourself a longterm vision (10 years). If you need help, my wife Celeste and I facilitate an online course called “The Life ALignment Process” which helps do exactly that. We ALL need space to grow into our big visions.
21) BONUS: Have Fun! Otherwise WTF is the point of it all?